Friday, June 1, 2007

another poem for my sister Lori

still another - from 1982-1987 era. same old song and dance - unsolicited, unpublished.
written for my sister, who died of cancer before her 32 birthday .... Fushia was a stuffed dragon i had given her two years earlier, after her first cancer surgery ...



FUSHIA: POEM FOR LORI

Fushia the dragon stares blankly to the wall.
He is bored.
He does not believe my woeful tales of death.
He will wait.
He has waited before and you have returned.
He is a convincing dreamer, with a love greater than the elements of time.
And so, we will wait together, wait for that laughter to come through the door.

(Forgive me, you frail souls that have passed on before.
Forgive me that i did not decry your death with the same wailing.
It is not that i did not know them there.
It is not that i failed to ache in your departure, but i have been undone in hers.)

The dragon stares blankly at the wall.
He is bored and tired of waiting.